Skip to main content

Herts Fine Wine Society

Just back from Easter in the Vaucluse (a working holiday, at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it) and straight into a wine tasting for a group I haven't met before but who received me generously on Monday evening and seemed to like the wines I presented.

First up was a pair of whites: Mourchon's Viognier "La Source", a wine for the summer and Coteaux des Travers' more serious and ageworthy (but not dissimilar) "Marine". Both wines have lots of Viognier and Roussanne so are highly aromatic. On the night, the Mourchon offered the easier drinking but the CDT is clearly the master here.

Easing into the reds, Cristia's 2009 CDP Grenache "Vieilles Vignes" is just about there now, the wood which was, perhaps, a little too evident is beginning to give way to some sweet, fragrant fruit with a Burgundian elegance. I defy any Grenache detractor not to enjoy this wine with a summer lunch.

Next, a pair of classic wines: Bressy-Masson's 2009 Rasteau "Paul-Emile" is remarkably forward and richly fruited (I will have to dig out my own case) and Brusset's 2007 Gigondas "Le Grand Montmirail", a typically modern-style wine with oodles of sweet cherry fruit.

The Chateauneufs were all quite serious - Herts wanted to try some of the best wines in the range - beginning with Christophe Coste's debut vintage of Chateau Capucine. This 2009 was showing well already with its pure Grenache fruit wonderfully soft and expressive. A seamless wine. Followed by two atypical CdPs from Cristia (again) and Raymond Usseglio. Cristia's 2009 "Renaissance" is a power house but not overwhelming, the gorgeous black fruit (from the 40% Mourvedre) integrated perfectly with the 100-year-old Grenache. Stef Usseglio's 2007 debut "La Parte des Anges" is a whopping 70% Mourvedre so I had double decanted it a few hours earlier. The subtle aromas of coffee added to the chocolate and black fruit characters. Delicious: it was a great shame that I had to spit out any of these wines but I was driving so had no choice.

The last red was another wine from Christophe Coste; his 2007 "Les Ombres". From such a ripe vintage, this has New World nuances but I do mean that in a good way - for all my ranting about Aussie wines, I do like a good cool climate Syrah (I just can't afford it). The oak used to age this wine has dissipated and what we are left with is a top drawer Southern Rhone Syrah, a refreshing antidote to all those big Chateauneufs.

Even more refreshing was the "Hommage" Muscat de Beaumes-de-Venise from Domaine des Bernardins that wrapped up the tasting. Christmas in a glass is the best way to describe this exquisite wine - it works for me at Easter too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A pair of Santenays

 Justin Girardin's Premier Cru Beauregard: 2017 v 2018 It's been a while... I realise I haven't posted in over two years so, to make amends, here's a note about two wines for the summer season (actually, why not all year round?). A (very) mini-vertical from rising star, Justin Girardin. First, a word about the price: £30 for the 2018 and only sixty pence short of that for the 2017. Thirty pounds? That's a lot of money for a bottle, isn't it? No, this is Burgundy where, ordinarily, that sort of cash barely gets a bottle of Bourgogne Rouge, the lowliest appellation other than the somewhat confused and confusing Passetoutgrains and Coteaux Bourguignon (traditionally, anyway). So, a couple of bargains then? All depends on the wine. First, as custom dictates, the 2018: slightly fuller in colour than its older sibling. More extracted or slightly oxidised? It smells like it should so I'm going with the former. Beauregard is usually one of the softer Santenays and t...

Ten wines at the RBS

A lively crowd of mainly Claret lovers invited me to show a range of wines from the Southern Rhone! I told them: next time, South-West France. At least it's closer to the style of wines they enjoy. I find it rare that I "get" Bordeaux at all; maybe it's just that I can afford decent wines from the Rhone and SWF but the really good Bordeaux tends to be out of my league. That said, a recent bottle of Teyssier 's 2005 was rather enjoyable - maybe it's not that typical! As this was the first wine of the evening, everyone had a full glass; no-one complained. First up was Domaine des Anges ' 2007 "L'Archange" Blanc, a monovarietal - and, therefore, technically illegal - wine from the renamed Ventoux. Still very youthful and fresh with citrus on the nose and palate. Some liquorice and almond and the merest whiff of oak. It really needs another couple of years or more to flesh out; it noticeably improved as the glass drained. Perhaps it should be les...

Juvenal strikes a home run again

Super critic Jeb Dunnuck (the new Parker?) has tasted the current range from Chateau Juvenal - he likes them! For now, we only have the 'everyday' range of Ventoux wines called 'Ribes de Vallat'. Here's what he has to say about them: Ribes de vallat 2021 Blanc 'I loved the two whites from Juvenal. Based largely on Clairette, the 2021 Ventoux Les Ribes Du Vallat Blanc has pretty pear, crushed citrus, and honeyed flower notes in a medium-bodied, fresh, mineral-laced package perfect for near- term drinking.' 2023-2026 (91/100) Ribes de Vallat 2019 Rouge 'Moving to the reds, the entry level 2021 Ventoux Les Ribes Du Vallat is well worth seeking out. Juicy darker berries, raspberries, peppery garrigue, and floral notes define the aromatics, and this medium-bodied, round, supple, delicious Grenache is best drunk over the coming 3-5 years. ' 2023-2028 (89/100) He's right! These are  consistently enjoyable and immensely good value too. Enjoy!