Skip to main content

Wine tasting in Rutland

Off to meet the good people of Uppingham on Wednesday evening. They have asked me to present a selection of wines from the Southern Rhone. Here is what I am proposing:

White wines
1.     Domaine Brusset, Cairanne-Côtes du Rhône Villages 2012 "Travers"
2.     Raymond Usseglio, Côtes du Rhône 2012 “Les Claux

Red wines
3.     Domaine de la Charité, Côtes du Rhône Villages 2010
4.     Domaine Grand Veneur, Lirac 2010
5.     Domaine Brusset, Gigondas 2009 “Le Grand Montmirail”
6.     Xavier Vignon, “Début”
7.     Raymond Usseglio Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2007
8.     Domaine de Cristia, Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2004

Fortified wines
9a.   Domaine des Côteaux des Travers, Rasteau 2007
9b.   Domaine Bressy-Masson, Rasteau Rancio

I would have liked to include Charite's 100% Syrah for contrast but that would probably mean taking out one of the CDPs, the Usseglio I suppose as the estate is already represented. Hmmm. I will have to mull this over - over a glass of each, perhaps.


Comments

  1. I will post TNs later but, for now, Anyone wanting more information about this group (not that there was any room for any more members on Wednesday) could start with their website: http://www.rutlandwinesociety.org.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Brusset Blanc showed really well, the small amount of Viognier giving it a wonderful lift. The Usseglio Blanc is more classically beautiful; for me it is the one I would enjoy with food whereas the Brusset is one I would drink as an aperitif.

    All the reds showed well although it was clear that both the Debut and Cristia wines needed food. The Usseglio CDP was almost too easy.

    Rancio was an unsurprising hit given its rarity and deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A pair of Santenays

 Justin Girardin's Premier Cru Beauregard: 2017 v 2018 It's been a while... I realise I haven't posted in over two years so, to make amends, here's a note about two wines for the summer season (actually, why not all year round?). A (very) mini-vertical from rising star, Justin Girardin. First, a word about the price: £30 for the 2018 and only sixty pence short of that for the 2017. Thirty pounds? That's a lot of money for a bottle, isn't it? No, this is Burgundy where, ordinarily, that sort of cash barely gets a bottle of Bourgogne Rouge, the lowliest appellation other than the somewhat confused and confusing Passetoutgrains and Coteaux Bourguignon (traditionally, anyway). So, a couple of bargains then? All depends on the wine. First, as custom dictates, the 2018: slightly fuller in colour than its older sibling. More extracted or slightly oxidised? It smells like it should so I'm going with the former. Beauregard is usually one of the softer Santenays and t...

Ten wines at the RBS

A lively crowd of mainly Claret lovers invited me to show a range of wines from the Southern Rhone! I told them: next time, South-West France. At least it's closer to the style of wines they enjoy. I find it rare that I "get" Bordeaux at all; maybe it's just that I can afford decent wines from the Rhone and SWF but the really good Bordeaux tends to be out of my league. That said, a recent bottle of Teyssier 's 2005 was rather enjoyable - maybe it's not that typical! As this was the first wine of the evening, everyone had a full glass; no-one complained. First up was Domaine des Anges ' 2007 "L'Archange" Blanc, a monovarietal - and, therefore, technically illegal - wine from the renamed Ventoux. Still very youthful and fresh with citrus on the nose and palate. Some liquorice and almond and the merest whiff of oak. It really needs another couple of years or more to flesh out; it noticeably improved as the glass drained. Perhaps it should be les...

Juvenal strikes a home run again

Super critic Jeb Dunnuck (the new Parker?) has tasted the current range from Chateau Juvenal - he likes them! For now, we only have the 'everyday' range of Ventoux wines called 'Ribes de Vallat'. Here's what he has to say about them: Ribes de vallat 2021 Blanc 'I loved the two whites from Juvenal. Based largely on Clairette, the 2021 Ventoux Les Ribes Du Vallat Blanc has pretty pear, crushed citrus, and honeyed flower notes in a medium-bodied, fresh, mineral-laced package perfect for near- term drinking.' 2023-2026 (91/100) Ribes de Vallat 2019 Rouge 'Moving to the reds, the entry level 2021 Ventoux Les Ribes Du Vallat is well worth seeking out. Juicy darker berries, raspberries, peppery garrigue, and floral notes define the aromatics, and this medium-bodied, round, supple, delicious Grenache is best drunk over the coming 3-5 years. ' 2023-2028 (89/100) He's right! These are  consistently enjoyable and immensely good value too. Enjoy!